Friday, April 17, 2009

Government Action Affront to Somaliland’s Democratic Ideals

 Government Action Affront to Somaliland's Democratic Ideals

On April 6th, 2009, Government Security Forces opened fire on the Chairman and some members of KULMIYE party who were peacefully marching towards the Chairman's home. Although Ahmed Silaanyo's statements addressed to the president Riyaale during Silaanyo's speech to supporters at SNM celebrations, can be interpreted as challenging the Government (Riyaale, Car soo bax meaning: Riyaale, I dare you to come out), there is nothing to indicate that any interference of the situation by the Security Forces was needed, let alone opening fire on KULMIYE chairman and supporters.

In most any Democratic society, the Government would have been forced immediately to take full responsibility and order an independent investigation/inquiry into the incident.

This incident was followed by the closing of  two KULMIYE party offices in next few days. On April 11 Security Forces stormed the Kulmiye Headquarters in Burco, the second capital of  Somaliland and the native town of Ahmed Siilaanyo's and his party's stronghold.

On Sunday April 12th, the Deputy Minister of Defence Ahmed Mohamed Filanwaa, as reported by Hadhwanaagnews, stated in press conference that the Government has prepared the Army prosecutor to prepare a case for legal action against The Chairman of unregistered Qaran Party, Dr. Mohamed Abdi Gaboose.

The KULMIYE and UCID parties have been, lately, loudly voicing concerns that the Government is instigating them and creating pretext to using the State Security Apparatus against the opposition parties.

It appears that the Government is proving them RIGHT.

As a truly patriotic Somalilander and political junky living abroad who has decided so far not to take sides in Somaliland's internal political conflicts, I strongly protest the deplorable action taken by a Government whose legality is questioned by a large segment of the people of Somaliland.

For the record, I supported the extension of the Government term by the GUURTI for the sake of  having a government in place rather "Power Vacuum". I have authored several articles and poetry in support of the Government when the opposition appeared wrong and came with unreasonable unfair attempts to unseat the Government.

I believe that the "power vaccuum" the opposition parties have been calling for is not in the interest of the People and the Country at this crucial time in hour history. By the some token I wrote poetry and articles opposing "Power Sharing Agreement" for it would, in my opinion,  create more problems than it would solve in Somaliland's unique situation.

The GUURTI, the Parliament, the intellectuals and the people of  Somaliland must stand up and put pressure on the Government to restrain itself from using the State Power against the most important pillars of Democracy, the opposition parties.

Democracy is an artificial and very delicate system. It is the bright side of  Democracy-Dictator continuum based on very potent power dynamic. It is not a system to be taken for granted. So it needs a careful watch not only by the system of the check and balances but by the society as a whole.

Even in the Western world where were are told that democracy stands on stronger foundations with many institutions and traditions developed over many centuries to safeguard it, the battle to keep democracy in place is the daily chore of the media, independent judiciary,  opposition parties, community organizations, trade unions and religious groups and the general populace as well.

The following poem by a German Pastor (Martin Niemoller) which you find, these days,  hanging on the walls of every Trade Union or Social Democratic party office in the Western world,  illustrates what is likely to happen when a country's institutions, its elite and general public fail to stand for Justice and defend Democracy.

When the Nazis came for the communists ………………………..
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
Then they locked up the social democrats
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.
Then they came for the trade unionists
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.
When they came for me,
There was no one left to speak out for me

The above poem may be paraphrased to suit the events that plunged Somali Republic in Absolute dictatorship in 1970 and after, as fellows:

When Siyaad's henchmen men came to arrest the parliamentarians
I remained silent,
I was not a parliamentarian

Then they locked up the honest officers (Caynaanshe, Gabayare and Dheel)
I remained silent,
I was not an honest officer

Then they came for the teachers and poets,
I remained silent,
I was neither a teacher nor a poet

When they killed Caynaanshe, Gabayre and Dheel (men from other clans)
I did not flinch,
I was not their clans or sub-clans

When they blasphemed the Quran and executed the Wadaadis
I remained silent
I was not a Wadaad nor a Muumin

I knew I was next (somehow)

But something called SNM came out of no where and saved me!

Let's, all stand up, to save  Somaliland's Democratic Ideals

Ahmed M. Adam (Doob-baje)

qotonshe@yahoo.com


Source:  Somalilandpress




No comments: